Viskazide® 1050 HCTZ 3×35 Tabs
INFORMATION FOR THE PATIENT
What the medication is used for:
Viskazide can be used as maintenance therapy for individuals with hypertension who require a combination of pindolol and hydrochlorothiazide in the dosages present in Viskazide.
What it does:
Viskazide works to increase urine production to reduce sodium content and reduce the heart rate. Both of these actions help reduce blood pressure
When it should not be used:
Viskazide should not be used in the presence of:
- Congestive heart failure
- Right ventricular failure secondary to pulmonary hypertension
- Significant cardiomegaly
- Sinus bradycardia (< 45 -50 beats/min)
- Second and third degree A-V block
- Cardiogenic shock
- Bronchospasm (including bronchial asthma), or severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Anesthesia with agents that produce myocardial depression, e.g., ether
- Hypersensitivity to pindolol, hydrochlorothiazide, or to sulfonamide-derived drugs, or crosssensitivity to other beta blockers
- Prinzmetal’s angina (variant angina)
- Sick sinus syndrome
- Severe peripheral arterial circulatory disturbances
- Untreated pheochromocytoma
What the medicinal ingredient is:
10 mg of pindolol, a beta-adrenergic receptor-blocking agent, and 25 or 50 mg of hydrochlorothiazide, a diuretic, per tablet
What the nonmedicinal ingredients are:
Cellulose microcrystalline, magnesium stearate, pregelatinized starch, silica colloidal anhydrous
What dosage forms it comes in:
Tablets; 10/25 and 10/50 mg
ABOUT THE DISEASE
Hypertension, or high blood pressure in the arteries, is diagnosed when the force of blood flowing through an individual’s blood vessels is consistently too high. This can be caused by several factors and is very common, especially over the age of 60.
Hypertension treatment is typically done through medication and nutritional alterations. Some medications include:
- Diuretics: increases urination which reduces the sodium and fluid content resulting in decreased blood pressure.
- Beta blockers: helps reduce the heart rate, decreasing blood pressure.
- Alpha blockers: relaxes the muscles of arteries and veins.
Patient-dependent dietary changes may be made as well, including avoiding frozen, salty, and sugary foods; caffeine and alcohol; and red meats.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
VISKAZIDE® comes in tablet form with two dosage options; 10/25 and 10/50 mg
Take VISKAZIDE® exactly as prescribed. It is recommended to take your dose at about the same time every day in the morning. If VISKAZIDE® causes upset stomach, take it with food or milk.
Usual Adult dose: One or two tablets once a day. Dosage is individualized for each patient.
Do not take VISKAZIDE® if you:
- Are allergic to pindolol, any beta blocker, hydrochlorothiazide, or to any non-medicinal ingredient in
- Are allergic to any sulfonamide-derived drugs (sulfa drugs); most of them have a medicinal ingredient that ends in “-MIDE”,
- Have difficulty urinating or produce no urine,
- Suffer from, or have suffered in the past from, bronchial asthma, or other lung diseases or trouble in breathing,
- Suffer from a severe heart disease, Have had an alteration in the structure and function of the right ventricle of the heart caused by a primary disorder of respiratory system (called Cor pulmonale),
- Suffer from chest pain, mainly occurring at rest, or angina
- Suffer from irregular or unusually slow heartbeat (less than 45 to 50 beats per minute),
- Have had sudden loss of consciousness in the past,
- Suffer from severe blood flow disturbances of your blood vessels causing paleness or poor circulation in the arms and legs (cold hands or feet),
- Suffer from pheochromocytoma (a type of tumor of the adrenal glands),
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding. VISKAZIDE® passes into breast milk.
The side effects listed below are not experienced by everyone who takes this medication. If you are concerned about side effects, discuss the risks and benefits of this medication with your doctor.
Patients at the age of 65 or over may experience more side effects than young patients. Close monitoring by your doctor may be required.
Side effects may include:
- Muscle cramps, spasms, and pain, weakness, fatigue, restlessness
- Dizziness, pins and needles in your fingers, headache
- Abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, decreased appetite, upset stomach,
enlargement of the glands in your mouth
- Reduced libido
- Bleeding under the skin, rash, red patches on the skin
If any of these affects you severely, tell your doctor, nurse or pharmacist. VISKAZIDE® can cause abnormal blood test results. Your doctor will decide when to perform blood tests and will interpret the results.
Warning: Cannot use a scalar value as an array in /home/customer/www/xediton.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/includes/wc-product-functions.php on line 916