Inhibace® 5mg, Bottle of 100 Tabs
INFORMATION FOR THE PATIENT
What the medication is used for:
INHIBACE® is used to treat the following:
- Mild to moderate essential high blood pressure (hypertension). The cause of essential high blood pressure is unknown.
- Heart failure. This is a condition where the heart cannot pump adequate amounts of blood to satisfy the needs of the body
What it does:
INHIBACE® is an angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor. You can recognize ACE inhibitors because their medicinal ingredient ends in ‘-PRIL’. It works by making your blood vessels relax and widen. This helps to lower your blood pressure. It also makes it easier for your heart to pump blood around your body if you have chronic heart failure. This medicine does not cure your disease. It helps to control it. Therefore, it is important to continue taking INHIBACE regularly even if you feel fine
When it should not be used:
Do not take INHIBACE® if you:
- Are allergic to cilazapril or to any non-medicinal ingredient in the formulation.
- Are allergic (hypersensitive) to other ACE inhibitor medicines. These include captopril, enalapril, lisinopril and ramipril.
- Have hereditary/idiopathic angioedema or a history of angioedema related to previous treatment with an angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor.
- Are pregnant or intend to become pregnant. Taking INHIBACE® during pregnancy can cause injury and even death to your baby.
- Are breastfeeding. INHIBACE® passes into breast milk.
- Have a build-up of fluid in your abdomen (ascites).
- Are taking a medicine containing a neprilysin inhibitor (e.g., sacubitril/valsartan), as the risk of angioedema is increased.
- Are already taking a blood pressure-lowering medicine that contains aliskiren
What the medicinal ingredient is:
What the nonmedicinal ingredients are:
Lactose monohydrate, cornstarch, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, talc, sodium stearyl fumarate, and titanium dioxide. Iron oxide is present as the coloring agent in the tablet
What dosage forms it comes in:
Tablets of cilazapril 5 mg, packaged in a bottle of 100 tablets
ABOUT THE DISEASE
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Cilazapril belongs to the family of medications known as angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors. It is used to treat mild-to-moderate high blood pressure and congestive heart failure (CHF). Cilazapril controls blood pressure and reduces symptoms of congestive heart failure by relaxing blood vessels and making the heart pump more efficiently.
To treat high blood pressure, cilazapril may be used alone or in combination with diuretics (water pills) known as thiazide diuretics (e.g., hydrochlorothiazide) when one medication has not been found to sufficiently control blood pressure.
Cilazapril is used in addition to digoxin, thiazide diuretics, or both for the treatment of CHF when these medications have not produced enough of a response.
This medication may be available under multiple brand names and/or in several different forms. Any specific brand name of this medication may not be available in all of the forms or approved for all of the conditions discussed here. As well, some forms of this medication may not be used for all of the conditions discussed here.
Your doctor may have suggested this medication for conditions other than those listed in these drug information articles. If you have not discussed this with your doctor or are not sure why you are taking this medication, speak to your doctor. Do not stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor.
Do not give this medication to anyone else, even if they have the same symptoms as you do. It can be harmful to people to take this medication if their doctor has not prescribed it.
5 mg cilazapril – reddish-brown, oval-shaped, single scored biconvex tablets, imprinted CIL
5. Available in bottles of 100 tablets.
The usual recommended dose depends on the condition being treated as well as your kidney and liver function.
The dose range for treatment of high blood pressure is 1 mg to 5 mg once daily.
The dose range for congestive heart failure is 0.5 mg to 2.5 mg once daily.
Many things can affect the dose of a medication that a person needs, such as body weight, other medical conditions, and other medications. If your doctor has recommended a dose different from the ones listed here, do not change the way that you are taking the medication without consulting your doctor.
For the greatest benefit of this medication, cilazapril should be taken at the same time each day, and may be taken with or without food.
It is important that this medication be taken exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible and continue with your regular schedule. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Store this medication at room temperature, protect it from light and moisture, and keep it out of the reach of children.
Do not dispose of medications in wastewater (e.g. down the sink or in the toilet) or in household garbage. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medications that are no longer needed or have expired.
Do not take cilazapril if you:
- are allergic to cilazapril or any ingredients of this medication
- are allergic to any other angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor (e.g., captopril, lisinopril, ramipril)
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant
- are breast-feeding
- have a history of angioedema (a serious allergic reaction that causes the area around the throat and tongue to swell) after taking any ACE inhibitors
- have ascites (swollen abdomen due to liver problems)
- are taking aliskiren and
- have diabetes
- have kidney disease
- are taking a medication in the class of angiotensin receptor blockers (e.g., irbesartan, losartan, valsartan)
- are taking another angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor (e.g., captopril, lisinopril, ramipril)
have galactose intolerance (a rare hereditary condition)
Many medications can cause side effects. A side effect is an unwanted response to a medication when it is taken in normal doses. Side effects can be mild or severe, temporary or permanent.
The side effects listed below are not experienced by everyone who takes this medication. If you are concerned about side effects, discuss the risks and benefits of this medication with your doctor.
The following side effects have been reported by at least 1% of people taking this medication. Many of these side effects can be managed, and some may go away on their own over time.
Contact your doctor if you experience these side effects and they are severe or bothersome. Your pharmacist may be able to advise you on managing side effects.
- cough (dry, persistent)
- dry mouth
- runny or stuffed-up nose
- unusual tiredness
- weakness (loss of energy)
There may be an interaction between cilazapril and any of the following:
Warning: Cannot use a scalar value as an array in /home/customer/www/xediton.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/includes/wc-product-functions.php on line 916